Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Little Lake Cemetery Visit

This past Wednesday I took a drive to Little Lake Cemetary with my labmate Dan, and Walter Wehtje after our lab meeting.  I had gone for a run the night before and saw plenty of ducks, but of course had no binos with me.

Just as I was driving into the cemetery, I saw what I thought was an Osprey fly over, but "it's too early isn't it?!" I thought.  Dan was already at the cemetery and confirmed that it was indeed an Osprey!  We then looked at Ring-billed Gulls, Herring Gulls, Mallards, Goldeneye, Bufflehead, Ring-necked Ducks, Canada Geese, and 4 pairs of Hooded Mergansers swimming around. Dan mentioned that he saw a Lesser Scaup, however it wasn't until after he left and when Walter arrived that I was able to find it again.



Before Walter arrived, I walked around and noticed a few Chickadees, Robins, Starlings, and a flock of Cedar Waxwings, which were a first of the year for me!


 Just as Walter pulled into the area, I noticed a little "duck" floating really close to the shoreline.  You know those moments were you just assume what it is and carry on?  Well, I ALMOST did that.  I almost drove right by it thinking it was another female mallard, but something made me stop, reverse, and get out for a second look.  I am so glad that I did too, because I saw my year-first Pie-billed Grebe swimming away from me! I don't believe I saw one last year, so it was a nice to be able to check it off.  What little cuties they are too!


We stayed around and looked for a wee bit.  After a while, we finally re-spotted the Lesser Scaup too!  It took us a little while to really find all the qualities that made it a Lesser as opposed to a Greater, however both of us ended up being comfortable with our choice.  Just as we were about to pack up, I heard a very familiar rattling call. Yup...it was my first Belted Kingfisher of the year!! Can't believe they are all back already!

Within the last few days I also had the first Song Sparrow visit my bird feeder!  The squirrels are still hanging around almost non-stop.  I noticed this grey one yesterday that looked just hilarious shedding and changing into its summer coat. So, naturally, I couldn't resist taking a photo!



I hope that everyone had a great Easter/long weekend!!

Happy Naturing!

No comments:

Post a Comment