Sunday, May 11, 2014

Getting Loonie in Peterborough

While driving back from a site visit last week, I noticed two large spots out on the Otonabee River but didn't have a chance to actually pull over and really see what it was.  My first thought was a Common Loon, which are one of my favourite memories of cottage country!

I went back the next day after school and thankfully they were still there!  There were two Common Loons just floating around in this little inlet to the river where the water was more calm.  It was so adorable when they started washing themselves and displaying for each other!




There wasn't too much around minus the loons. A few Northern Flickers, Cardinals, Red-winged Blackbirds, and Canada Geese.  I got back into my car and took one last look at the loons, which I couldn't see anymore.  I don't know if any of you had done this before, but I got excited that they had gotten closer to shore which would give me a better photo!  So I shut the car, again, and decided to take a peek.  Had I not, there are so many other birds I would have never seen!   A Caspian Tern was the first that surprisingly few by, my first of the year!   I then saw an Osprey fly by which allowed me for some awesome photos!





A few days after that, I was talking to my mom while in the car (over bluetooth! No worries!) and noticed a bird perched in a tree!  The sun was setting so it was super hard to see any colour, but going by its size I had thought that it was a Kestrel.  I came back home and uploaded the photos. Of course it was just a black blob in a tree, but after lightening it up...it was a Merlin!!


Happy Naturing!

No comments:

Post a Comment